Overall, I’m pretty happy with this project. I’ve actually worn it quite a bit since I finished it in early September, so maybe I’m more than just “pretty happy” with it.
Knitting the Napoleon Vest was enjoyable, although it didn’t go as smoothly as I would have hoped. My gauge was tight (ugh…AS USUAL), so I knit the 40″ size, rather than the 36″…a trick that usually works fairly well for me. After I had knit all the pieces and begun seaming, the vest was HUGE, so I wound up unraveling 1” from each side of both the front and back pieces (eliminating 4” total) before grafting the sides together. I think the armholes would have been a mess if I hadn’t. However, it looks like I could have left a little more room on the sides after all, since I got a more fitted look, rather than the blousey look the tucks were intended to create.
So I guess the only reason I’d say I’m “pretty happy” rather than “thrilled” is because I still like the casual, blousey look of the vest on the model in the pattern. I like it so much that I’m tempted to knit this again, but I don’t think I’m that kind of knitter. Actually, I think the pattern would be really great converted to work with a finer gauge yarn, but I KNOW I’m not THAT kind of knitter!